Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington | Lillian & Albert Small Jewish Museum

Collections: Synagogues & Congregations

The collections include photographs, correspondence, scrapbooks, anniversary programs, and memorabilia documenting synagogues in Washington, Maryland, and Northern Virginia from 1869 to the present.

Detail of letter signed by Bendiza Behrend

In 1869, thirty-five members of Washington Hebrew Congregation, including some of its founders, resigned to form a new Orthodox congregation—Adas Israel. This resignation letter is signed by Bendiza Behrend, first president of Adas Israel.
JHSGW Collections.

People at Sephardic Hebrew Congregation Banquet, 1936

Yom Tov Congregation Banquet, 1936. 
JHSGW Collections, Gift of Luna Ereza Diamond.

Photo of Myer Freeman, circa 1950

Myer Freeman, first President of the Montgomery County Jewish Community, ca. 1950. 
JHSGW Collections, Gift of Rabbi Tzvi and Esther Porath.

Members of Agudas Achim Congregation posing for photo, 1942

Members of Agudas Achim Congregation presenting a Torah on loan to the Marine Corps based at Quantico, Virginia during World War II, 1942.
JHSGW Collections, Gift of Rabbi Tzvi and Esther Porath.